Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Walking Among Giants


It doesn’t happen often, but once in a while I feel like I’m walking among giants. That’s what happens when I’m attending a function where I feel almost completely lost about the subject I’m there to cover. When it comes to the economy and the specifics of the bail out package there are much sharper minds than mine trying to dissect it.

That was the sensation I got while attending Federal Reserve Bank Of Chicago President Charles Evans address at Marian University in Fond du Lac last Friday (10/17/08). I understand liquidity and restoring credit, but some of the other terminology…zoom, over my head.

That’s when I do envy someone educated in a special field. However everyone has his or her own field of expertise. Mine is radio and reporting the news. You learn the ins and outs of your particular business and to the outsider it may seem complicated.

Speaking of fields of expertise let me use my own brothers and sisters as examples. My brothers John and Matt don’t work in their particular fields of training, but each have different know how. John took training to be a welder and did indeed work as one for some time. Matt was an auto mechanic and although he doesn’t do that anymore has restored some vintage cars and competes them in auto shows.

My sister Diana did sound and lighting for a number of theatrical productions for several colleges. She did some work on the road for some musical shows and ballets. My sister Kathy is a corrections officer in the State of Michigan. What she deals with on a daily basis I wouldn’t wish on anyone.

I may be bright, but I wouldn’t consider myself smart. In fact my sister Diana gets that title in our family. She skipped a grade in elementary school so we both graduated with the same high school class. It was fun explaining we weren’t twins.

Long story short whenever I’m walking among giants I try to watch where I’m going. I don’t want to be accidentally stepped on.

No comments: